Continuing education credits
Opportunities for advancement
Full Job Description
- High School Diploma preferred
- 1 year of experience in Nutrition Services
- Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
- Ability to follow basic written and oral instructions.
- Ability to count and perform basic arithmetic.
- Basic computer skills
- Appropriate telephone etiquette
- Basic understanding of therapeutic diets and general disease states.
- Must be personable in person and on the telephone.
- Technical Service: Performs diet office tasks in response to patients’ orders, menu options and dietary allowances.
- Takes patient meal orders according to prescribed diets and patient requests.
- Works collaboratively with trayline and production staff to ensure special patients’ needs are met.
- Makes appropriate modification to diets. If necessary, consults with dieticians to ensure requests match dietary restrictions.
- Substitutions are appropriate and communicated to management.
- Prepares nourishment bag tickets.
- Prepares tube feeding orders for proper delivery to patients.
- Maintains diet office in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Keeps all computer, printer, and telephone equipment clean and maintained after use.
- Customer Service: Consistently displays professionalism in dealings with patients and families, staff, and physicians.
- Promptly answers customer, staff requests pleasantly and appropriately
- Approaches, greets, and offers assistance to patients, family members, physicians, and others who may need help.
- Pitches in to cover shortages within department.
- Takes initiative to solve problems and recommends improvements of hospital procedures and intra or interdepartmental processes.
- Development: Participates with supervisors in identifying learning needs.
- When learning needs are identified, participates in training and development activities.
- Attends hospital-sponsored training programs as required by the department.
- Meets all mandatory obligations.
- Organizational knowledge: Works effectively within and between departments.
- Participates in departmental projects
- Participates in interdepartmental activities when asked.
- Demonstrates a constructive approach during all interactions with staff, supervisors, and managers both inside and outside the unit.
- Department/Unit Specific Functions and Duties a. Conducts Quality Assurance (QA) measures (meal rounds, Patient Satisfaction surveys) as scheduled.
About MedStar Health
MedStar Health is dedicated to providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region while advancing the practice of medicine through education, innovation, and research. Our 30,000 associates and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300 community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to research and innovation.
As the medical education and clinical partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors but also to the continuing education and professional development of our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for career advancement and personal fulfillment.