South Korean and Japanese officials asserted on Friday (Jan. 14) that North Korea had launched an unidentifiable projectile, the nuclear-armed country’s third suspected weapons test in less than a week.
In addition, the Japanese coastguard said that it had identified the flight from North Korea of what looked to have been a ballistic missile or missiles at 14:55. “
According to AFP, the coastguard is presently assessing where the object landed and whether it was a single or numerous object.
Pyongyang has so far conducted two tests of what it claims are hypersonic missiles this year, on January 5 and 11, defying the global restrictions on its nuclear weapons program.
The US levied penalties on five people affiliated with North Korea’s ballistic weapons program after the second test, which was specifically monitored by North Korean president Kim Jong Un.
A foreign ministry spokesman in Pyongyang accused the US of deliberately worsening the situation as a result of the action.
According to the spokesman, he said
North Korea maintained that its latest hypersonic system tests were indicative of its lawful right to bolster its self-defense.
Its recent innovation of a “new-type weapon” was part of its measures to enhance its national defense capability, according to the foreign ministry, and did not aim at any single country or undermine the security and protection of neighboring countries.